Fiona Cassidy

Fiona Cassidy
Author, Mother, Thirty Something...

Monday 3 January 2011

Three wise men...two donkeys...and a cat?!


Christmas like every other time of the year in my home is mad and full of unexpected surprises therefore it shouldn't come as a shock to you that I'm posting up a photograph of my crib complete with a kitten in the straw...

To start at the beginning...'the cat' as we shall call her for now arrived in our garden half starved and shivering in the worst snow that I believe northern Ireland has seen in twenty five years so you'll understand why 'we' (word used loosely) felt compelled to invite it into our home, feed it, buy it cat litter, give it a blanket and treat it like a little princess. I say that 'we' weren't entirely impressed as I'm already visualising the madness that bringing another baby into the world will cause therefore the thought of becoming surrogate mammy to a kitten wasn't exciting me! I actually do like cats but the timing just wasn't quite right! Anyway...I didn't really get a say (even though it's my house) because the children fell in love with it therefore I had to begrudgingly accept my utility room was going to be doubling up as a cattery for the forseeable future!

As for Aine (mad four year old) she is completely obsessed by the cat and spends all her time pulling it and poking it and trying to manoevre it into all sorts of obscure positions with the result that the poor animal favours the back of our televsion unit as a hidey hole as opposed to the utility room whilst everyone else in the house wanders around with their hands in the air saying 'leave the feckin cat alone' with varying degrees of meance in their tones depending on the time of day, how many times the incident has occured before and how innocent the pigtailed culprit tries to look whilst trying to blame everyone else!

And the best part is that (as you can plainly see) the cat is predominantly black yet my children have seen fit to call it Snowy...because it arrived in the snow Mammy duuuuhhhhhh.....

Our furry friend has become quite an established member of the household at this stage but unfortunately is still going to have to go elsewhere! On second thoughts, though, perhaps we should keep her as she seems to be bringing us a certain degree of luck as since she came to us several little windfalls have come our way so perhaps it is true what they say...a black cat crossing your path is lucky or in our case snowy!!

No comments:

Post a Comment