Fiona Cassidy

Fiona Cassidy
Author, Mother, Thirty Something...

Wednesday 13 October 2010

Out of the Mouths of Babes...

I've been teaching Creative Writing to children as an after school activity since the end of September and they have provided me with much mirth and entertainment with their innocent comments and enquiries!

Firstly, I have to rant as I couldn't believe how many of them had never heard of Enid Blyton (I'm talking blank expressions and much shrugging of shoulders here...shocking!!!) Then I produced a Beatrix Potter book and wasn't that surprised to hear only a murmur of recognition (well let's face it if you've never heard of The Famous Five or been taken for a spin on the 'Magic Wishing Chair' then my hopes weren't that high!)

On a brighter note, however, Roald Dahl remains a firm childhood favourite (yay!) and we had great chats about The BFG, James and the Giant Peach and Fantastic Mr Fox which I enjoyed immensely!

What cracked me up entirely and literally left me having to duck behind the desk before I threatened to wet myself was a comment made by a little boy who I couldn't look at for the rest of the day (as I don't generally bring changes of underwear to class with me.)

I was holding up Beatrix Potter's Collection of stories when he enquired with great gusto...."Was Beatrix Potter Harry Potter's Granny?" in an expectant voice and left me utterly speechless before very quickly looking in my bag to hide the fact that I was in kinks!

I'll still be telling this story in years to come...only then somebody will probably be asking me if the latest new age children's writer is Harry Potter's grandson and I'll still have no answers...

1 comment:

  1. Thanks Fiona,

    Really enjoying the Creative Writing Class. I'm having a whale of a time with you.

    ReplyDelete