Fiona Cassidy

Fiona Cassidy
Author, Mother, Thirty Something...

Wednesday 20 October 2010

Weather Watchers...

I always complain that I hate wintertime but have to say that it does have some advantages! We had a lovely evening yesterday where we lit the fire for the first time this year, I dug out my warmest, fluffiest slipper sox and fleecy pyjamas and got a cup of Ovaltine brought to me in bed (this doesn't usually happen I hasten to add I think he was just feeling sorry for me because I haven't been sleeping well lately and also because he fancied getting a night's sleep himself 'without you feckin tossing and turning all night...it's like bein' in bed with a hyperactive spinnin' top...grumble grumble yap yap.')

On the downside, however, is my mother's obsession with the weather!!!! She phones me to tell me what temperature it is and how cold it is set to be for the next five days (I honestly have no requirement for a five day weather report...I have it on tap...it's like living with Frank Mitchell who probably doesn't talk as much about it!!) and she worries about snow and how she and my daddy will ever get out of the house (apparently they live at the very top of the Swiss Alps where the roads are totally impassable and they would need air lifted out...or maybe they just live on top of a hill on a road which in fairness is fairly treacherous in the ice?!) I think I'm going to have to break her radio, distract her every time the news ends and hide all newspapers from her during the following months or else put her to good use and get her a job in the MET office where the news will be undoubtedly bleak and the weather permanently crap until next May when she can start worrying about the children wearing hats and being appropriately slathered in sun cream!

You just can't win...it must be a mammy thing...although be assured I have already instructed my children to lose my radio, stick their foot through the TV on the dot of 6 o'clock and hide all reading materials if I show any signs of developing 'weather-watching-panicitis' as it seems to be incurable and has the side effect of putting everyone around you in a bad mood (or maybe that's just me!)

No comments:

Post a Comment