Fiona Cassidy

Fiona Cassidy
Author, Mother, Thirty Something...

Tuesday 31 August 2010

School's In.....

I don't know about the rest of you but the day the school gates reopen I'm going to be there waving a 'I'm so happy I could squeal' flag and sending my children in with gusto. It seems like an eternity since the end of June when the prospect of being able to spend quality time with them was attractive and the fact that there would be no early rises to meet bus times seemed like heaven. Two months with them at home, however, (under my feet and lying in bed until the closing credits for 'This Morning' are well and truly over) although enjoyable, has been a long time (really wants to say loooooooooooooooonnnnnnnnnng in a dramatic tone of voice but is afraid that said children may read blog and feign illness in order to stay under the feet for a while longer.)

We've had a good summer. We spent the best part of the month of July in Ballycastle (and no, we weren't there at the weekend when they were rioting in the town...it wasn't us, I swear) where we toured around, shopped, spent time with family and friends and basically took the opportunity to relax and enjoy being carefree in each other's company. We've also had a good August where we've managed to entertain the children, there have been sleepovers aplenty and generally I've never been out of the car adorning my chauffeurs hat whilst trying to keep everyone amused!

Now, I KNOW I'm going to have a good September as I will be concentrating on getting my house back to normal as at the moment it resembles something that has been used for bomb disposal purposes. There will be no teenagers (with their signature smell of feet and general sweatiness) lying in bed until the early afternoon making the upstairs of my home look like a wake house from the outside and once they leave on the bus (sniff, I'm going to pine for them so much) I can go home and get back into my school routine of tidying the house, settling down with a mug of coffee and a pancake (I'm partial to the lemon and raisin variety) and perhaps getting some writing done!!

Aine (soon to be mad four year old) is also starting playschool this month and I think I may collapse with shock at the fact that for some two and a half hours a day my time will be my own and I can do exactly what I like!!!!

I love my children dearly but the old saying is definitely true...absence does indeed make the heart grow fonder! I will look forward to my weekends and the quality time we shall spend with each other then but during the week I shall live by the motto that I will appreciate them so much more in the evenings when they are not cluttering up the house and making the place look untidy during the day whilst asking endless questions the answers to which usually create more work for me!

The new term has begun....WOOOOOOOOOOHOOOOOOOOOO!!

No comments:

Post a Comment