Fiona Cassidy

Fiona Cassidy
Author, Mother, Thirty Something...

Saturday 28 August 2010

When Blood is Thinner than Water

If you've read my biography or seen the blurb of my latest book Anyone for Me? then you'll know that I'm adopted and also that I'm blessed at having the parents I do. Things that others take for granted I don't. I know that life could've been very different for me had my angels not been looking after me and steering me in the right direction as a baby...you only have to read some of the horror stories about the children's institutions of the 70's to know that I've had it good!

So what exactly have my adoptive parents done for me that birth parents wouldn't do for their children?

Well...let's see...since I was a baby they have nurtured me and loved me. They have fed me and clothed me. They have given me values and principles and taught me the difference between right and wrong and how to treat others. They have instilled in me a love of reading and the importance of my faith but most of all they have paved the way for me becoming a mother and I can only hope that I can make my children feel as loved and valued as I have always done!

As for blood being thicker than water.....that's a lie...you can love someone as your own child even though you didn't give birth to them and sometimes if you're lucky (as my parents have been) that love is reciprocated one hundred fold!

Perhaps there are some poor unfortunates out there who have given unconditional love to a child who is not their own but in their care for whatever reason (foster parent, step-parent, adoptive parent)but haven't had the fact appreciated or recognised...to you, I say, don't lose heart...you made a commitment, you accepted the challenge, you did your best and that's all you can do and something that not everyone would be willing or able to do so commend yourself for trying and never lose faith!

By the way my books are comedies...I'm just in philosophic form and in the mood for putting the world to rights...you should be glad I'm pregnant and therefore not indulging in a glass of wine as that's when my analysis of situations would become very detailed and repetitive....and repetitive...did I say that before?!

No comments:

Post a Comment